If talk of the pH scale brings you out in a rash or leaves you with nightmares from your eighth grade Chemistry class, just imagine what it does to your stone.
Natural stone, like your skin, is porous, needs to breath, and dislikes anything that isn’t pH neutral (pH5.5).
It is common to see dusty white marks appear on stone that are impossible to wipe off. These burns, otherwise known as etching are the result of a chemical reaction between a source of acid and the calcium carbonate found in the stone. The source of the acid could be Red Wine (pH 3-4), Vinegar (pH 2-3), Lemon Juice (pH 2) or an Anti Cal product which could be as low as pH1.
Using a good quality water-based sealer, like Brillux, as part of your planned preventative maintenance can help protect against staining, but it won't prevent this chemical reaction taking place.
So prevention really is better than cure.
Educating fellow crew members on the correct cleaning and maintenance products to be used on the stone, as well as the causes of damage will build allies to aid you in creating a line of defense against guests. Providing ample coasters in all susceptible locations, bottle holders to minimise drips and spillages, toiletry baskets in bathrooms, and over-sized chopping boards in the galley and bar areas will all assist you in your quest to maintain sparkling stone for longer.